Darksat IT Security Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:10:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Darksat IT Security Forum
From Firewall Support, AntiVirus Questions, Spyware problems, Linux and Windows Security, Black Hat SEO right down to Website Design and Multimedia

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Windows security

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows security  (Read 7520 times)
TheHeretiC
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:48:28 am »

The problem to the above solution with a virtual machine is that your saved games and settings wont be saved.
I would recommend that u first optimize your XP system by turning off insecure system processes like file sharing, remote registry, SMB protocol, remote desktop, computer browser, and stuff like that (long list).
That makes ur computer way more secure by limiting the ways an infection can get into your system, and how it can work while inside. To not leave your front door open (even unlocked) makes a Big difference.
This suggestion requires a bit of "know what the hell your doing" skill, but u can easily find XP optimization guides. Also by tweaking these processes u make your XP system WAY more faster.

A limited account is 1 way to do it, but if your system is fully open with insecure running processes, it wont matter much anyway. With an optimized system, Windows firewall (fully updated ofc), and an antivirus software will do just fine for most home users.
With a virtual machine software - most of these softwares (generally) takes up Alot of CPU that slows down your games. So does an antivirus software. So for better gaming experience I suggest that you use an antivirus that you can completely disable while gaming. I think AVG should do that (free).
You could also use the "Turbo Boost" option in Advanced Systemcare 7 (iobit.com) to get maximum performance from your system.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: