Darksat IT Security Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:47:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Darksat IT Security Forum
From Firewall Support, AntiVirus Questions, Spyware problems, Linux and Windows Security, Black Hat SEO right down to Website Design and Multimedia

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

WinXP Crashed! Nightmare!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: WinXP Crashed! Nightmare!!!!  (Read 4080 times)
trace
Master

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2006, 05:11:03 am »

Hi,

Sorry for not posting here for awhile. but windows xp crashed on my main pc. it just froze during a dvd and I cut the power. after that it wouldn't load the OS. I just got a message saying that I could choose safe mode, las good config or start it normally. no option worked! they all resulted in a blank screen.

I tried to reinstall XP from my hard drive (its a dell computer) that wouldn't work either.

So I trioed re-installing win98. That got about halff-way through (to the eula license) when it froze and went blank screen.

Dell sent me out the XP cds. They won't boot?! They just take me to a win98 screen now saying safe mode, start noramlly etc.

Any ideas?Huh?

Luckily I've used linux knoppix live cd to back up my data files and move them to my older pc.

I'm trying to install free OS at the moment and then try to install winxp from there! Ubuntu linux wouldn't install! It said there was a problem with the graphic dirvers or soemthing! I'm trying puppy linux and alinux now.

Help me!!! lol Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 07:26:19 am »

Sounds like you have fried something.
and since its a dell your probably going to be stuck with buying dell components.
Do you have any idea what you might have fried?
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 07:29:57 am »

i would call up dell. their a pain in the arse though i would google your computer product id and find out if anyone else has had the same problem.
With a computer the other day someone had a problem i asked for the computer name etc googles it and all the pages where the same problem so it was easy to fix Cheesy.
Report Spam   Logged
trace
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:21:15 am »

I never though about searching for my computet product ID.

I'll do that now.

But i think its a software problem and not a hardware problem. I've run all the dignostic tests ont he gardware and they're all fine, I can run knoppix O.S. form the live cd as well. I'm thinking this is a software problem.

The trouble is by writing over XP with windows 98 I think I've made this problem much worse.
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:24:26 am »

do a complete format then install windows again you should find a file to put on a floppy which will easily do it for you.
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:32:55 am »

You should also be able to format using a linux distro like knoppix.
also its a good opertunity to create partitions on your drive if you want to run a dual boot linux/windows system.
Report Spam   Logged
trace
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 03:31:45 pm »

how do you re-format the disk?

I tried using puppy linux to dlete allt he system and windows files but i'm getting the same problem - windows xp installer just uploads some files and then says "restarting windows" and then ti freezes.
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:37 pm »

Use fdisk /dev/hda to 'partition' the drive.

then use the mkfs.<partition-type> /dev/hdaN (where N is the partition number to format.) Smiley

mount /dev/hdaN /directory/to/mount/partition will do the mounting for you.

Knoppix has a graphical partitioning tool called QTParted that you could use insted.
I havnt used it, but you could give it a try.
Report Spam   Logged
trace
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 06:55:24 am »

that code stuff is too comples for me, I don't have a clue what to do with it...

Knoppix is greta and all but its mostly in german, and switching it to english isn't 100% reliable.

Is there a program I can use from within puppy linux? Maybe download it form somewhere?
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:41:36 am »

I dont know that much about puppy, but loads of linux distros come with built in partition tools.
also you should be able to partition with FDISC from DOS.

http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm
Report Spam   Logged
neutron2k
Elite-Member
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:05:03 am »

Ok first thigns first -

you can't install 98 or other operating systems because the hard drive will most probably be formatted as ntfs, and not fat32.  NTFS is supported by Windows NT/XP only.,  Other Operating systems can't read it (at least not with out plugs).

Ok boot problem...

Check your bios settings and ensure the boot order is correct (Should be floppy, CD, HDD0). You should also enabled boot from other devices.

If this is set correctly and your WinXP still doesn't boot, try holding down either F8 or F11 just before the POST check starts (Power On Self Test).  Hopefully you will see a boot option managed display asking you to select a boot device. Select your CD drive and hopefully that should work.

If it STILL won't boot from the XP cd, check that it is actually an MS XP cd and not a Dell REcovery CD.  If its a dell recovery CD, chances are all the restore files are on a partition on the hard drive and are damaged.

So far its sounding like the boot order is messed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:10:58 am by neutron2k » Report Spam   Logged
trace
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 01:01:08 pm »

I ended up having a delivery guy pick up my pc and deliver it to dell so they can chekc it out - thanks god its still under warrenty and I didn't have to pay for any of this!

as soon as i get the pc back I'll be sure to post here more often!
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 04:51:42 pm »

Good its still under warrenty.
Your not doing to bad but it will be nice to have you in on more often.
Hope you didnt have anything to dodgy on the harddrive. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
neutron2k
Elite-Member
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 03:47:25 am »

You could be in for an expensive bill if its not hardware related.  Warranties only cover hardware, not software issues.
Report Spam   Logged
warscar
Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 09:05:58 pm »

Bloo186.4SUGGGlauTheoRaviJeweGeraJereAnneAgusShapTescPeteBrisWillscreDekoClifDolbLookRajnFisk
JuicMystMichWindThatDennTaftNatiHughLSDSAlexJogoIRMAClinDansSpecBlamKareAndrIrisPhilJackLife
TurnMartHairChriCaroFashTigeNeedEverXIIIPockSelaRootGranGeorMichAncharisMusiDalePeteJameAmid
PushLoviLudwNelsScraMichGiorFlasGregWindOrieWindRainZoneKarlJeweWhatTimeArtsAgatStarDancDelp
ArtsZoneArtsNottWaltZoneShanTigeHornHaloZoneXVIISuzaZoneSycoRobeGeniXVIIZoneElleJeweJameXVII
MighFSoeGoldFLACXXIIMicrMielMielINTESnooBookCoopBadiBelaPramOlmeMultParkMataPROTLTSRBoneJazz
BillWinnJacoHighLensDigiTeLLAdobBidiMarldrumSmarSmilCartHollXVIIJavaRichmonoLaurKateJennWise
FranNintXVIIHomeXVIIAcadIntrHerbASchOZONStarPalgTUTTManiMinoRockGlorGunnKillFirsCleaFordStre
DianFirsStarStevJangOlgaAcroWindEnglPeteXVIIEugePaulBlueIntrHellMichFronXVIIHapplineFLACFLAC
FLACBriaLifeCarlRogeKennDropThisChriGuidStarexceGladtuchkasPeteJaco
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: