Darksat IT Security Forums
April 19, 2024, 04:43:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Darksat IT Security Forum
From Firewall Support, AntiVirus Questions, Spyware problems, Linux and Windows Security, Black Hat SEO right down to Website Design and Multimedia

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Laptop HDD

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop HDD  (Read 3557 times)
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:56:34 am »

So its been playing up a lot, its currupt kubuntu and cant install anything new.
If I try installing say Suse I hear this awful scraping, and the only mechanical thing inside the laptop is the HDD ow as well as that tapping sound that HDDs make when they are about to go out the door.

Only problem the laptop doesn't have external access to it, anyone got any ideas to magically fix a hard drive?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

solidghost
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:39:56 pm »

In my years of repairing laptops, only industrial ones usually don't have easy access to the hdd. But most models will have very easy access to the hdd because it is usually the first to break down.
Looks like it is indeed the hdd that is causing the problem. And you should replace it.
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:52:51 am »

Sad HDD's don't like me Grin.
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 03:28:26 am »

I opened it up, it was actually surprisingly easy after I looked at the case for a while.
I'm a bit bummed out because it was a SMART drive and I can't afford a replacement one Sad.
So I will have to use my external HDD one Sad, but I'm facing a new problem of not having the correct screw driver as you might know considering its a compaq Grin I have the screw driver but not one that is for that specific size Sad.

So I took it out and its rattling by the way, when I checked the SMART logs though it didn't show any sign of being fucked up so I take its just cuput?

Okay I decided to go SSD with a CF to IDE converter and a 2GB Compact Flash card.
Also brought one for a 3.5" (hopfully) CF converter so I can put a 8GB MicroDrive in it to play around with.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:24:41 am by Defcon 5 » Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 05:36:03 pm »

Wouldnt the CF flash cards & microdrives be way more expensive per GB?
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:56:41 am »

8gb cost me like a 10er (ebay), and I plan on playing around with some things like smoothwall and FreeNAS so due to the low power consumption a CF card would be brilliant but a MicroDrive was cheaper than buying another CF card Grin.
As for the laptop, its a ultra mobile one with a heavy HDD when I took it out I was supprised at the weight so I figure why not use flash storage which won't exactly break as easy doesn't give out much heat if any, and will make the laptop awesome Grin.
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 12:11:59 pm »

not a bad idea.
is this a new laptop, whats the model?
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:15 pm »

Not mine, n400c Compaq.
very old.
Report Spam   Logged
solidghost
Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 06:37:37 am »

How do you mount the CF to ide converter and the CF card onto the notebook?
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:51:12 am »

Its detected as a standard IDE card.
I struggled getting it to show up on kubuntu when I put it as slave though, all I needed to do was boot up partition magic and format as FAT thought, this was on desktop though I only just for the 2.5" one.
Report Spam   Logged
solidghost
Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:27:07 am »

I meant physically.
How do you physcially mount the CF card onto your NB?
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:58:57 am »

NB?
you mean MB?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-X-NEW-CF-TO-2-5-IDE-44PIN-ADAPTER-MALE-BOOTABLE-B10_W0QQitemZ380016536965QQihZ025QQcategoryZ41994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I brought the female version for desktop and male for laptop.
Report Spam   Logged
solidghost
Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 05:49:12 pm »

Oh, I thought you are using it on a Notebook (laptop). Sorry.
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 12:55:48 am »

I will be using one on a laptop but the pins are fucked it requires 43 pins but it has 44 pins so I have to bend 1 at a time which I don't like doing.
Report Spam   Logged
warscar
Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 04:44:22 pm »

Huh?294.8Huh?CHAPLotoAlbeMerzHuh?Huh?DolbHuh?SeatTescHuh?Huh?StouLeviHuh?LXXIJingHuh?Huh?Loui
FranHuh?Huh?AtlaNiveHuh?ExpeHuh?Huh?DoctHuh?RobeHuh?ProsShamSaltPalePaleCamaJohnXVIIAhavClea
DaniHuh?LouiHuh?PushHuh?Huh?fadeNefeSympXVIIXVIIPachErneHuh?PringunmavidUNDEHuh?FearHuh?Huh?
ThatFreeMartHuh?ComiHuh?BurdSwarHuh?LarrHuh?Huh?Huh?diamZoneHuh?ZoneHuh?RondZonediamHuh?Zone
SemePokeHuh?Huh?Huh?HansHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?MargHuh?Huh?ACTIPetzMartFrogHuh?Huh?Jame
Huh?Huh?Huh?FlasMadeKronMoraSonyWaltHuh?Huh?AMMaHuh?T201EdwaQuesWoodHuh?AVTONISSHuh?Huh?Mode
BoomDigiHuh?HounHuh?HellHuh?WindWindBryaNiklValeHuh?CafeAdvaHuh?RoryHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?DolpHuh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?AutoHuh?Huh?Huh?NextBonuAlanHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?GabrFranHuh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?FranHuh?Huh?Huh?AnthHuh?ChriWiimHuh?Huh?Huh?KeysWITCHuh?MichHuh?FlasFlas
FlasAnth37-4WilhHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?StevVIIItuchkasHuh?Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: