Darksat IT Security Forums
April 20, 2024, 02:14:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Darksat IT Security Forum
From Firewall Support, AntiVirus Questions, Spyware problems, Linux and Windows Security, Black Hat SEO right down to Website Design and Multimedia

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Vista took 24 people to design the shutdown menu

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista took 24 people to design the shutdown menu  (Read 4111 times)
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2006, 10:41:27 am »

I was reading a post on slashdot where it said that when developing vista it took 24 people to develop the shutdown menu.
Now considering Linux torvalds was able to build an entire operating system on his own, one must ask, what sort of monkeys are microsoft hiring.
I was at the reading office a couple of weeks ago and the girl I was talking to was about as technically competent as my last dog.
Now considering every time you buy a new copy of windows you are paying these peoples salaries and putting money into bills pocket as well, it makes you think.
How many monkeys are you paying for?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:36:02 am »

linus actually :p but linux shutdown menus arn't exactly the best are they?
microsoft is good for giving people jobs, but it just goes to show how much work goes into it so it can't be bad can it?
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:42:42 am »

Ever hear of to many cooks.

I built a shell that kicks the crap out of the standard windows shell on my own.
Microsoft is pure bloat.

Report Spam   Logged
webdotdev
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

hell with microsoft. sorry to say that but i can'r rezist, everything which is microsoft is shit. and this pist me off a lot and what  pist me off more is that ppl dont see how bad is it , and they pay more and more...

Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:21:27 pm »

I love microsoft products its just a tad over prices helps getting a student discount Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:43:40 am »

I love microsoft products its just a tad over prices helps getting a student discount Cheesy
You did what with a what?
Sorry Didnt really understand that last post.

Yeah Microsoft products range from sh1t to bland.
The people there arnt to smart either, although there are a couple of cute women working in the Reading campus.
 Wink
Report Spam   Logged
solidghost
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:23:55 pm »

The most important thing for a mass consumer product is ease of use.
MS products are really much easier to use than most of it's competitors. As an IT Support, I would say ditch the quality and the features and make it really easy to use.
Report Spam   Logged
SmGuy
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:09:33 pm »

Its surprising it took so many people to design.
Is vista worth upgrading to, or should I wait a while?
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:21:21 pm »

I would wait at least a year.
I see no real reason to upgrade to vista.
Report Spam   Logged
Defcon 5
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 03:45:19 am »

i would wait i have written about it before if you want to read my views on it http://www.typertappers.com/2006/12/07/computing/software/vista-well-too-me-it-sounds-like-a-load-of-hot-air.shtml
Report Spam   Logged
neutron2k
Elite-Member
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:56 am »

The keyword here is DESIGN, not develop.

Software companies run designs past a great number of employees in general to get approval and to ensure everything looks ok, and makes sense etc.  I'm not at all suprised by this.
Report Spam   Logged
Zachery
Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 06:55:45 am »

It probably only took one person to design the shutdown menu and ten more to ensure go over everything and make sure that it was all in order. The rest were taking notes on how to BS a person when calling for support.

Person: My son was surfing the net and he may have downloaded a virus what should I do?
Support Satff:....:checks list: okay did you try ctrl+alt+delete?
Person: I don't see how restarting the computer will help? The computer has a virus?
Support Staff:....:sighs: okay sir hold on a moment...I am going to forward your call to someone in the security department. Hold please
Person:....
45 minutes later
Person:.............
Security Support Staff: Hello I am sorry for the long wait, things have been kind of busy around here lately. What seems to be the problem?
Person: Okay see, my son was playing around on a few video game websites. I think while he was playing a game he may have somehow downloaded a virus.
In back ground: you have reached level nine  a loud cheering noise could be herd.
Security Support Staff: Whew that was hard, I can't belive how hard that level was.
Person: :getting frustrated:.............are you playing a game?
Security Support Staff:......no
Person: Then who just beat level nine.....look I don't care can you just help me fix my computer.
Security Support Staff: Ahem oh yes sorry about that. Now you said that you think your son downloaded a virus onto your comuter. What level was your privacy meter at? low - medium or block all cookies?
Person: Privacy meter..where is that at?
Security Support Staff: Okay open IE...what version of IE did you say you were using?
Person: My son was using Firefox version 1.5.2
Security Support Staff: I'm sorry we do not support 3rd party products.
Person: I'm not asking about a thrid party product I just want to know what to do now that my computer has a virus on it?
Security Support Staff:.......Did you try-
Person: Yes I restarted the computer!
Security Support Staff: One momeent please.
Person: OH no you don't YOU wait "one moment please". :dial tone:
Report Spam   Logged
Darksat
Administrator
Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 09:15:35 am »

Im not sure microsoft emplyees are smart enough to get to level 9 in most games. Grin

HP support is even worse, I rang the UK technical support, ended up chatting to a Scotish guy in Germany, he was useless so I asked to talk to his manager.
Guess what he said...
Sorry, my manager dosnt speak english.
This was the HP UK technical support phone number.
I couldnt believe it.

Anyway back to Vista
Now considering I could design, develop and build my own shell replacement for windows on my own, I think its fairly piss poor what microsoft have done so far.

I actually said that to a couple of the people there and they threw a wobbly.
In hindsight it probably wasnt the smartest thing to do, but it was funny.
Report Spam   Logged
Zachery
Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 02:20:10 pm »

The same thing happend to me...well sort of. I contacted my host's support desk which I THOUGHT was located in the US. Well there may be one located in the Us, but the one that answered my call was somewhere in te middle east I think. I coud not understand a word the guy was saying. Or mabey it was just my imagination...I cannot grasp the idea of a hosting company being so large that it would have to outsource jobs.
Report Spam   Logged
warscar
Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 10:53:29 pm »

Diet244.1BettCHAPChriJohnHarmHarvCharToryGabrNanoFrieWSKFClauXVIIStevSterremiAtlaZoneBasiSper
IzerSharDigiFusiGarnXVIICreoBallAlwaAquoFredStarMancDeanInviPlanNiveSylvPalePierXVIIExpeFriz
DaniCarlCondMariMichWindRecishinShafJohnRaymModoMoreFallPALANikiFeliAnthNikiNikiGretTrasFlow
JameBlueFeliRichChthLEGOYoshRondQuikJuliZoneSwarEighParkRagaZoneGeraBlacFideJeanZoneXVIIFlaw
SonaChamZafiLaurAislMireChetXVIImailZoneGlenSelmJameKateSoniZoneZoneRennLucidiamZoneWarwXVII
BlazFragIriemicrCampThomElecTekaBALTBarbBookFromSolaChicWoodOlmeVanbChaiSTARFIGHRaveAndrGerm
BALAEditHellinduLegoToloHangVelvWindBornFresDremBorkBlacWhisBoarPravEricThisLukiCarpGreeKloo
LittJumpXVIIXVIIHugoThomIncoJackJoonAcadCharFranPaulCreaLarkSeedMichLaurHansLiveXXVIWorlWind
IpsaEnjoDickWritMajoWakeHighPetePanaShimPainLIVEStarInduMidnXVIIXXIIWordShelReinMarimicrmicr
micrTopsDISCForwSileOZONMeteStudDougMaitAlexMPEGThistuchkasGongChan
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: